Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Cannot Tell a Lie

Sandy Point Sunset, Plum Island, MA

















I could tell you that an elephant walked
right through my Arizona yard today
stomping my cactus into a mess,
leaving my garden all a wreck!
I could tell you that I took a ride on a feathery cloud
over the mountains through an azure sky,
when I was bored at lunch time.
I could tell you I turn into a silver mare at night
with wings on my feet and a silken mane,
and that I follow a moonbeam path into the starry sky
Galloping all the way!
I could tell you I was lost at sea
tossed and tumbled in cold blue waves,
and just as I was about to drown
a humpback whale brought me home,
and sang to me along the way!
I could tell you I once met Madame Curie
And she let me help her in her laboratory,
And that I was really the one who discovered
The magic and mystery of radium.
I could tell you I crossed the wide prairie
with grasses long and flaxen in autumn
with long skirts flowing in a prairie wind,
and buffalo thundering by!
I could tell all of these things and more,

But…

as He of the Cherry Tree said,
I cannot tell a lie, so I’ll tell a story instead!

~Kathie Adams Brown (April 2, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!