Thursday, April 11, 2013

Arizona Kitchen


Here is the blue tissue box by the sink
and the green bird house pen and pencil holder,
the black granite counter tops (all anyone wants these days,
along with stainless steel appliances)


Here is the place where

                Endless dishes are washed,
                Coffee is brewed fresh every morning,
                Conversations begun and ended,
                Songs sung alone by myself.

Here is the place where
               
Easter eggs are colored,
Pizza is baked,
The Thanksgiving turkey is stuffed and roasted,
Caramel popcorn is made at Christmas,
Or, Margaritas on a summer evening,
The cats meow as I fill their dishes in the morning,
And in the evening the little black and white dog waits by the door
When she hears her master’s car in the driveway, but

This could be any kitchen, anywhere.

~Kathie Adams Brown (April 1, 2013)

NaPoWriMo 2013

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is lovely. I went to a reading by the poet Billy Collins once and he said every poem can use a dog. And he was right.

    All the best.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy, your comment made me laugh! and I am still smiling! Thank you! I am having so much fun with this and I do hope you will come back and read me poems. I always appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!