Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Contrast in Habitats

















Part 1: New England

I love autumn’s blaze of color thrown across the hills,
I love the sound of trickling water tumbling down the rills,
I love tall pines in winter standing stark against the snow,
I like the little villages dressed up for Christmas show,
I love crocuses in springtime with peep frogs heard throughout the land
And in the summer I like to watch waves pounding on the sand.
I love maple sugaring in spring and apple picking in the fall,
I love New England’s old red barns and lumpy gray stone walls.
I love New England churches standing tall and white on the town green,
I love a quiet woodland walk where no one else has been,
With so many things to like, including pastures full of cows,
Why is that I find myself living in the desert now?





















Part 2: The Desert

I love the feathery green foliage of our native desert trees
And city ponds filled with ducks and occasionally some grebes,
I like the craggy mountains that encircle me in town,
I like the Monsoon rains when they come pouring down,
I love pale green saguaros standing tall against the sky,
I love the murmur of Gambel’s quail as they are passing by,
I love the lizards in my yard climbing everywhere,
I love the sight of nighthawks as they slice through evening air,
I love looking up and seeing stars shining in the night,
Twinkling in the darkness and sending down their light,
I love a place where all year round I watch the flowers bloom,
A place where I can live outside in an outdoor room,
I love hummingbirds in winter, and not having to shovel snow,
If I love this desert life so much, why would I ever go?

~Kathie Adams Brown (April 8, 2013)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathie

    I liked the contract between the two locations. There was lots to like in both settings.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!