Monday, April 8, 2013

A Friend Indeed

Detail of a painting by Heather Heath





















A friend in need is a friend indeed
At least that’s what they say,
But a friend to me is like a weed
That blooms most every day
They hang around, they pay me heed,
In what I do or say,
That’s how I like a friend to be
A friend that I let close to me.

I like a friend that will be true
I like a friend who makes me tea
A friend to trust and to pull through,
A friend who listens to my pleas,
And when I’m feeling sad or blue
I like a friend who laughs with me.
That’s how I like a friend to be,
A friend who I let close to me.

True friends know acceptance is the game
Yet they will tell you when you’re wrong
They never will forget your name
And when you sing they sing along
It doesn’t matter if there’s pain
They sing the notes in any song.
That’s how I like a friend to be,
A friend that I let close to me.

But friendship is a street for two,
I’ll not forget this thing,
I will be a good friend too
And we don’t have to sing,
We just have to muddle through,
And let our hearts take wing,
'Cause friendship doesn’t happen every other day
It really is quite precious, that’s all I have to say!

~Kathie Adams Brown (April 8, 2013)


12 comments:

  1. This is a great reflection on the power of friendship. I love the comparison of a good friend to a weed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said just the right amount, Kathie. Just then I did a lot of thinking about the friends I've had during my life. It is fun to look them back up. Some, mostly the girls, I cannot find.

    I love the first three syllable endings,
    That’s how I like a friend to be,
    A friend that I let close to me.


    Friendship cannot be forced and once the bond is made he/she may never go away. My dog, Adi, died last September, she was my bosom friend. My ex strayed. I don't know which loss made me sadder.

    (We have another dog, a toy poodle but she isn't Adi. Also I have been remarried now for 40 plus years and we do very fine.)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, the loss of a dog is a hard thing to bear. The betrayal of a loved one even harder. I am glad that you found love again, both in a dog and with a spouse! Companionship and love are so essential to our lives. I am glad that neither tragedy kept you from living your life or finding love again.

      Delete
  3. Love the comparison to weeds that you then grow to appreciate as wild flowers. Like weeds, friends can turn out to be quite resilient little suckers than fill in the cracks!

    And the lesson at the end regarding working at keeping the traffic going both ways...adds depth and gets us reflecting immediately. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micheal, thank you so much for your comments! I like your interpretation of friends being resilient and filling in the cracks. So true! I also think that we have potential friends around us and often overlook them because they appear so ordinary and common!

      As for the final stanza, I feared it was getting too self-centered and wanted to emphasize that friendship is a two-way street. I try very hard to be a good friend as well as having a good friend! I am glad you liked this turn of thought!

      Delete
  4. This is a perfect poem to give to a friend! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathie

    I thought you really captured the nature of friendship.

    Very Nice.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!