Thursday, June 5, 2008

Skywatch Friday: Idaho, My Love

King Mountain in Spring painted by Kathiesbirds 3-18-99 Acrylic on Canvas

Idaho, wild Idaho,
I long for you so much!
You are in my heart
You are in my soul,
And I desire to be in you.
What is this hold you have on me?
Why this terrible love?
You are a place, just a place,
On earth.
You draw me as a lover,
With a love I’ve never known before.
Why do I feel this need
To be immersed in You?
I want your mountains surrounding me,
Your aspen trees,
Your golden sunlight.
I want your wild-ness.
I want your rivers pouring over me,
Your wildlife running through my eyes,
I want to see eagles playing in the skies
Once again.
I want the Sandhill Cranes to dance
In pastures near the cattle,
I want to see a pelican
Fly overhead at lunch,
Or Great- Horned Owls perched
On phone poles in the morning
When I am hanging wash out to dry
With potato fields beyond.
I want to see newborn lambs
Gamboling across the landscape,
Or bald-faced calves in spring,
Curled in the pastures
When I am driving into town
On highway 93.
Idaho, my Idaho,
How I love you, love you so,
When will I return my love
To my place of being?

~Kathiesbirds (March 28, 1998, revised June 5, 2008)

To see more Skywatch Friday photos visit Wigger's World.

20 comments:

  1. LOVELY!!! :)))
    Great name on your state! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only a beuatiful poem but also a fantastic painting!
    Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honoured today that you show this delightful painting. Sky Watch throws up a few surprises each week and this is far far the best yet. Great pictures, and a stunning heart felt poem... what a great post..
    Thank you
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting and poem - they go hand in hand, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am so honored that you have this beauty poem and painting in for all of us to see from Sky Watch...really love your poetry and will come here more often to read and rest...I was mostly going to your other place, now I see you have such talent here...cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely painting and unique SkyWatch! Excellent !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathie,
    What a gorgeous painting and the poem is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You confessed your love to Idaho in a lovely way.
    You are a place, just a place...
    The most beautiful things in life are usually so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited here yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Do you have plans to go back? This really touched me; esp. about the sandhills. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful painting and a wonderful poem. You're so talented :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful painting. More wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone. So sorry to take so long to respond. I'm still getting use to balancing 2 blogs! To answer your question, Quiet Paths, I lived in Idaho for only 2 years over 20 years ago now, but felt like I was home the moment I stepped of the plane. I can't explain this, I can only descibe it. While I have been back to visit, I have never been able to live there again. The memory of my life there haunts me and lingers as a deep longing that is never satisfied. It is a sweet pain.

    I do love my life here in AZ now, but I don't know what I would do if I was offered the chance to go back. I'm so glad my poem touched you. I'm glad you all liked the painting. There is one for each season. I hope to post them here eventually, with poems of course!

    Old Wom, thank you! I am so glad you enjoy my poems and my art work. your comment pleased me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathie, this is a lovely poem!
    And you DO understand exactly how it is to not live where you were raised--and long for it.
    With so many transplants across this country (or world) this must be a familiar sentiment for more than I'd imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nina, I'm glad you came to see and pleased that you understand. I never knew what it was like to love a place so much until I lived in and left Idaho.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!