Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Song of the Say's Phoebe




















I awoke to the song of a Say’s Phoebe
Calling me out to the dawn,
It pumped its tail while on the tall vent pipe,
It lifted its beak to the gray monsoon sky,
And as the sun broke through the wooly clouds
Suspended over the Rincon mountains
A single sunbeam reached out to caress
The soft gray breast of the bird who sang
with such a plaintive voice:

A plaintive voice,
--a  two-note sigh,
 I heard its longing
Fill the sky.

~Kathie Adams Brown (September 12, 2012)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathie

    From the mood of your poem it sounds like you are getting settled in your new surroundings.

    All the best
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How that bird speaks to our dreams. That is a wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem Kathie, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathie, Thanks for your visits to my blog. And thanks for your kind heart. Back in CT, I am missing NC, but I am grateful for New England. I have to reluctantly admit it's home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, just about the time I figured that out I had to move again! Now here I am in a wonderful place longing for New England! I must be nuts! Thank you for your comments on my blog, especially my poetry. It means so much to me!

      Delete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!