Wednesday, October 24, 2012

In the Desert Now


I am in the desert now,
In the soft low light of October,
But every now and then
I catch a glimpse of autumn color,
The remembered rainbow
Of the forest’s last fling,
And I think I hear the sweet autumn song
Of the white-throated sparrow,
Or the crunching of dried leaves beneath my feet.
Is that the scent of apples carried on the wind?
Can I really smell the memory of  
The first wood fire on the hearth?
But these are gossamer threads
Pulling me back to a place I have left behind.
I am in the desert now
Learning new rhythms to life and seasons,
I am learning new scents and sights and sounds,
The kestrel calls to me, the thrasher and the phainopepla,
It is the Say’s phoebe whose voice I hear at dawn.
I am learning a new melody,
Soon I will sing the desert’s song.

~Kathie Adams Brown (October 24, 2012)

4 comments:

  1. I know you will be blessed by all that is new and local. Still, the scents and rhythms of New England are a part of the story. Perhaps they will provide coolness when it is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I have discovered that no matters where I live, New England will always be a part of me.

      Delete
  2. Kathie - it is what you already carry within you, that will follow you wherever you go. With your love of nature and all the creatures, you are sure to find new challenges, and blessings, there in the desert. I look forward to following along on your "new" adventures there.

    A happy new week to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladybug, why thank you! What a kind thing to say! You have made me smile!

      Delete

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!