Thursday, September 4, 2014

Questions on a Perfect Summer Day


Can I pause for just a moment
to enjoy this summer day?
With the breeze teasing the branches and
a chickadee brightly calling?

Can I stop and listen to the cicada’s sultry whine?
Can I smell the fragrant flowers on the sea salted air?

Will I pause long enough to watch gulls wheeling overhead?
Or stop my frantic rushing to watch a butterfly at rest?

Can my eyes follow the darting of a jewel like dragonfly?
Can my heart stop to fill with wonder on this perfect summer day?

Can my soul drink it all in and hold it as a promise
against the coming winter’s snow?

Can I taste such sweetness and live?


~Kathie Adams Brown ( September 4, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Poet Tree. Enjoy your visit here. Just remember, all spam will be removed like dead leaves from under a tree, but sincere comments will always be welcome and appreciated!